• Property1
  • Property9
  • Property7
  • Property2
  • Property3
  • Property6
  • Property8
  • Property4
  • Property5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9

Obtaining possession

Our approach

We aim to make the process of obtaining possession of your property from the tenant as quick, smooth and cost efficient as possible. It is very important to use a specialist solicitor to handle the whole process as any procedural mistake can delay the date when possession is obtained.

We have put together a fee guide for an uncontested possession of a residential property let on an AST to help you understand the costs involved.

Fees for uncontested possession of a residential property let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy

Initial Appraisal and advice

We charge £350 to check the tenancy agreement, review other relevant documents and advise on the best way to proceed. This will include preparation and postal service of an initial letter to tenant and Section 21 Notice or a Section 8 Notice.

Section 21 procedure – accelerated possession

  • Preparing and Issuing proceedings at Court - £350

  • Request judgment - £100

  • Applying for Warrant of possession/bailiff's appointment - £300

Section 8 procedure – rent arrears

  • Issuing proceedings at Court - £450

  • Court hearing - £650

  • Applying for Warrant of possession/bailiff's appointment - £300


  • All our fees are plus VAT.

  • The above fees assume that the matter will be straightforward and uncontested. If there are complications or the tenant disputes the claim our fees will increase. We will tell you in advance if this happens and provide an estimate of fees for you to agree before we proceed further.

  • Court fees are in addition. For the issue of proceedings, they are £355 and £121 to issue a Warrant of possession. These fees are subject to increase by the Court. There is no VAT on these fees.

  • We may need to appoint an agent or barrister and extra costs will be involved. We will tell you in advance what these are.

  • If High Court bailiffs are used to enforce a possession order their charges are much higher than the County Court bailiffs and it is necessary to apply to the Court to transfer the order to the High Court. If you are interested in making this application (optional) we will explain the procedure and additional costs involved.