Call us today on:
020 3178 3770
- Chris Sykes podcast for the Leasehold Advisory Service on Selling a Flat
- Lease enfranchisement news
- "Leasehold Enfranchisement and the Right to Manage"
Lease Extension and Collective Enfranchisement
If you are the owner of a leasehold flat or house there is legislation giving you rights which, if exercised, will add value to your property. These rights have been improved and extended by the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002. The key rights are:-
- Extension of an individual lease
FAQs Lease Extension
- Collective enfranchisement (purchase of the freehold)
by the lessees of blocks of flats
FAQs Collective Enfranchisement
- Enfranchisement of a leasehold house
FAQs Leasehold House
- Collective exercise of a right to manage by the lessees
of blocks of flats
FAQs Right to Manage
More information on each of these rights is on the FAQ pages please click on the highlighted links.
Try our Lease Extension Calculator to obtain an estimate of price.
This calculator will give you an estimate of the premium for a statutory lease extension for a flat in England and Wales, but it cannot give you the actual figure. This will depend on a number of variable factors including those specific to the flat in question some of which are subjective. In considering the likely total cost you should also bear in mind the leaseholder's liability for the landlord's costs. The eventual total cost of the new lease will be the premium plus both your own and the landlord's reasonable professional costs. We can give you an estimate of our fees and an indication of what you might have to pay for the landlord’s costs. This calculator is not suitable for use for a shared ownership lease. You should not use this information in tribunal or court proceedings and neither should you take or refrain from taking any other action based on this information without first getting professional advice from specialist solicitors such, as Sykes Anderson, and from a specialist valuer.
By clicking below I confirm that I have read and understood the above disclaimer.
Go to calculator
Why use us?:-
- Christopher Sykes is the author of "Leasehold Enfranchisement and the Right to Manage" the second edition of which was published by the Law Society in December 2012 and is also a member of the Association of Leasehold Enfranchisement Practitioners (ALEP) which is the specialist organisation for enfranchisement professionals.
- We have a proven track record in acting for individual lessees and for associations/companies and landlords in these matters. Our clients range from the owners of houses on the large Central London estates to the residents associations of blocks containing a few flats to those with hundreds of flats and to the freeholders of these properties. References can be provided.
- As well as guiding you through the complex legislation we can offer practical and organisational advice.
- We will often attend an initial meeting of the committee of a residents association free of charge and then provide a detailed breakdown of likely costs.
- We have good links with other relevant professionals, in particular specialist surveyors/valuers, counsel and managing agents
- We are on the solicitors list of the Leasehold Advisory Committee. You may wish to look at their website which has a considerable amount of useful information.
Please beware this is a very complex area of law where it is essential to have specialist advice. To exercise any of the rights it is necessary to fulfil certain qualifying criteria. The legal structure of buildings, especially in Central London, can be intricate.
For further information contact Christopher Sykes.
Follow Chris on twitter chrissykes_sap
Nos services sont disponibles en français.
Мы предоставляем услуги на русском языке.